Here is our disclaimer regarding this section: Financial assistance is hard to come by and demand far outpaces supply for adoptive families. However, this is a place to start…
- A Child Waits Foundation, www.achildwaits.org, provides grants to prospective parents who are adopting internationally. The Foundation also provides low-interest loans to eligible families for international adoption.
- Gift of Adoption Fund, www.giftofadoption.org, a volunteer based organization that awards adoption assistance grants to qualified American families seeking to adopt vulnerable children, including from the public foster care system and internationally.
- Resources4Adoption with a website of the same name, www.resources4adoption.com, is what a friend and recent adoptive parent themselves called “the holy grail of resources for financial aid”.
- The Federal Adoption Tax Credit, which has been in place since the 1996 can function as a credit for families with qualifying adoption expenses. To learn more, see www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc607.html.
- The National Adoption Foundation at www.nafadopt.org bills themselves as the only national resource dedicated exclusively to providing financial support, information and services directly to adoptive families.
- ABBAFUND at www.abbafund.org provides a list of Christian organizations that can help with funding of an adoption, listed under the sub-section of “Adoption Resources”.
- Adopt Without Debt: Creative Ways to Cover the Cost by Julie Gumm. The author shares her personal tale to adopt children and remain debt free. The book incorporates creative fundraising ideas from other adoptive families.
- Reece’s Rainbow, reecesrainbow.org, advocates for and provides grant funds for the international adoption of children with Down syndrome and other special needs.